Delicious recipes from the kitchens of the Butler sisters

Monday, October 17, 2011

Pureed Butternut Squash Soup

This soup was so delicious! Even the kids gobbled it up. However, I took some to my Mom and Dad to try and they gave it back and said they didn't like it. Ha ha, I had to laugh about it! It is one of the best squash soups I have tasted so far. I served it with sourdough bread to dip in and watermelon on the side.
Ingredients


2 tablespoons butter

1 small onion, chopped

1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and chopped or I just used some ground ginger

2 garlic cloves, chopped

2 3/4 pounds small butternut squash, prepared and cut into 3/4-inch cubes(I used some I grew in my garden)

4 cups Chicken broth(I just used water and added boullion)

Coarse salt and ground pepper

Sour cream, (optional)

Spicy Pumpkin Seeds

Directions

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and squash; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in 4 cups broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until squash is tender, 20 minutes.

Puree soup in two batches. When blending hot foods, allow the heat to escape to prevent splattering. Remove the cap from the hole of the blender's lid, and cover with a dish towel. Stir 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Serve hot, with sour cream, pepper, and pumpkin seeds, if desired.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Tis the season for soup!!!